Friday, May 2, 2014

Ministry in Africa: Opportunities to Trust God

Rick Calenberg, International Director of the Romans Project, often tells me the thing he likes so much about ministry in Africa is that there are always opportunities to trust God. Well, today was no exception.

My flight from Prague to Amsterdam, where I was to meet up with Rick and Matt Miranda, was delayed and put me into Amsterdam late enough that the stewardess from Prague told me the connecting flight to Nairobi had already taken me off the list of passengers. She was so confident about this that, while I went directly to the transfer desk in Amsterdam, I didn't exactly race over to it.

The lady at the transfer desk told me that Rick and Matt were on the flight. I mentioned to her that I understood they already took me off the flight. She checked and said that they had not and that I should try running for it and to use the fast track at the passport control. Earlier I had been told it was a 20 minute walk to my terminal, but now I was racing at full speed.

I had decided that I would do all in my power to make the flight as a way to honor God's sovereign control of the situation. God had taught me a lesson several weeks before on perseverance while obtaining a visa for Nigeria and I wanted to apply it again here. I realized that God was absolutely in control of the situation and that He can be honored through my utter dependence of his sovereignty and utmost expenditure of the energy and abilities He has given me. So I ran with all my might and He parted the sea of people from the transfer desk through passport control and to the departure gate for my flight. Praise God! I had arrived in time.

As I made my way down the aisle to my seat, near the back of the plane, I was met first by Matt with a welcoming handshake and kind smile. What a joy to see him. A few rows back was Rick waiting to welcome me and tell me of his fervent prayers to see me get on the plane with them. "Welcome to ministry in Africa, my friend!"

No comments:

Post a Comment