Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Translation Work: The Finishing Stretch?

Here are all four translators from left to right: Yohannes (Ethiopia - Tigrinya), Edwin (Uganda - Luganda), Alex (Uganda - Luo), and Wakshuma (Ethiopia - Oromo).

The translation work is progressing, but not at the rate expected or planned. Edwin is pretty much on schedule to finish according to the original plan - Sunday October 4th. In order for the translation project of any given language to be complete, the translator has to submit his final session (Romans has 18 sessions) in time for me, minimally, to go through the first phase of editing. That first phase assures that they have translated every phrase of Scott's teaching and that it is aligned in such a way that I can clearly follow it - i.e. the best is to have a slight break between Scott's phrase or sentence and their translation of that portion.

As of now, I have Edwin's session 14 and Alex's session 9. I need to do the first phase editing of those sessions before I go to bed tonight as we (Ken Onywoki, Eremias Bekele, Johnathan Todd, and I) leave tomorrow around 3:30am to make our 6:00am flight from Nairobi to Eldoret, Kenya for the Pastors Training Program. (My next post will talk more about that.) On average I need roughly 1.5 to 2 hours to complete first phase editing for each session. That should still give me time to pack for my trip tomorrow, have dinner, and get a few hours of sleep.

What I am concerned about is that both Edwin and Alex have expressed interest in leaving to home on the original date of October 5th. When I get back on Sunday afternoon (Oct. 4th), I am pretty sure I will have time enough to finish editing Edwin's remaining 4 sessions, but I don't think there are enough hours to edit Alex's remaining 9 sessions - even if he were to have them all done. The Pastors Training Program team arrives back to Nairobi on Sunday afternoon and leaves again to Ethiopia Monday October 5th in the evening.

PLEASE PRAY that God would guide us in the translation and editing time schedule so that we can provide excellent recordings even if that means some need to sacrifice with less sleep (in my case) or with extending their stay a few extra days (in Alex's case).

As for Yohannes, he has already resigned himself to the fact that he needs to stay until the end of my time in Nairobi which is October 14. Yohannes is just now working on session 9, which leaves him two more weeks to finish the remaining 9 sessions. That should be a realistic time frame, but we would still covet your prayers for him in his translation efforts.

Finally, Wakshuma, who is an experienced translator and adept at using computers and recording programs, is doing fine. I have already done final editing on 6 sessions he has translated thus far and sent them off to Dave Martini at Southwest Bible Church in Beaverton, Oregon. Wakshuma is translating Scott's teaching on the Gospel of Luke and has 20 sessions in all to translate by October 13. One point of interest is that Scott taught the Gospel of Luke to my students in the Czech Republic numerous years ago and we are able to use those same recordings to translate into various African languages. Praise the Lord with me for this wonderful provision.


No comments:

Post a Comment